Wednesday, June 18, 2008

US fastfood might have to warm up to the new kid on the block-- Bembos, Peru's growing fast food chain, and Peruvian "cuisine" goes International

Bembos is Peru's home grown fast food chain which for years has held it's head high in the wake of "yankee invasion" of US fast food giants, lush with capital and experience and initially gaining almost total market share of the fast food market in Peru.

I can personally attest... it is amazing and superior to US fast food unless your from the US and craving the particular style of Burger King's chicken nuggets, almost all the people from the US and Korea I have personally traveled to Peru with, have continuously told me, quite shockingly to me at first, thinking they would be inclined to dismiss Bembos, they all thought Bembos was better than their competitors, sometimes in food court like malls as in the United States-- especially in Lima.

I'd say the only problem, which is not unique to Bembos, but to all fast food in Peru is that is isn't truly fast food. For one its superior to the quality of US fast food, but what I really want to narrow in on is speed...

Considering I grew up in New York City I may be bias all together. Even here in DC, where I currently write to you from I think the people of Virginia, DC and Maryland are slow as snails. In all the "Latin" or known to be slow paced countries of the world I have visited: Peru, Mexico, Spain, France, and the Dominican Republic-- the three "latin" cultured and known to be slow paced countries I've visited, they fast food is generally just slow. Bembos is no different, but it lacks the model of US fast food, to lets just say actually make the food fast...

Bembos no less, is very nice "fast food" place, and quite tasty one to check out if you're ever in Peru.





















Playa Asia, very popular beach south of Lima .... and.. A Bembos in modern day Lima--

Moving on... Bembos is testing expansion in probably what many will read is a very unexpected choice... India! Five Bembos will be opening in Lima as the you tube video I posted in an earlier entry indicated, it was in Hindi, but due to the description on you tube being in English and the content in the video you could figure what it was about-- you don't Anderson Cooper, who CNN has sadly cast as their pretty face narrating much their reporting, to say the least... (no disrespect intended, I do recognize his abilty, but what they feed him is sometimes pathetic)

I must thank the Miami Herald for writing a story compiling many of these developments into one well written piece, accessible here.

Other Peruvian food chains are also spreading. Second, after Bembos, is Pardo's chicken, a staple in Lima for families of friends desiring delivery or "take out" chicken-- Peruvian styled roterseierre chicken. Pardo's recently opened it's first location in Manhattan, a tough market to say the least... I'm personally hoping for the best and will make a trip to it next time i'm in NYC to pay my respects. (Click here for the English version of Pardo's website.)

Third, there is China Wok, a Peruvian Chifa chain (see wiki definition), which is what Peruvians call their Chinese food. Peruvian Chinese food, like Chinese food in the United States has been altered by US tastes to a certain extent, Peruvian Chifa is therefore mixed with the rich and unique elements that come with being a Andean country with incredible biodiversity and unique flavors.

Peruvian cuisine in general, even in the more "upscale" trendy, socialite circles of major cities is gaining popularity, as the article describes from the Miami Herald describes. Peruvian food, excuse me, cuisine as I call it, is garnering world wide attention and respect... About time!



0 comments: