Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Reuters -- "Era of Cheap Oil Over" -- IMF' chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn warns of looming threats from rising prices for LATAM

Using the great and free online personal finance management site "Mint," I have been able to monitor all my personal expenditures from my various bank accounts and credit cards.

Since the month of September, I've seen my expenditure on food increase roughly 20% and my gas expenditure has increased about 70%. Since August 2006, when I purchased the car, the cost of filling my tank has more than doubled.

If price rises are really hitting home in the United States, the cliche "world consumer," this pinch is definitely affecting the emerging world. IMF, chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn urged Latin American leaders on Monday "the rising threat of inflation in Latin America, urging policymakers to take steps to contain the shock to prices from energy and food."

He continues, explaining
"The task for policymakers is to ensure that the initial impact of the supply shock on prices is contained and that macroeconomic policies successfully prevent higher inflation from becoming entrenched in expectations and wage demands"

“In the short term the challenge for Latin America is inflation. The region built credibility in the last decade and that credibility is now being tested”.

Strauss-Kahn's comments as the world as a whole attempts to fight inflation and ride the wave of problems resulting from the global credit crunch and sub-prime mortgage crisis in the US.

To view the full article from Mercopress in which I accessed Strauss's comments from click here

Reuters - Era of Cheap Oil Over


0 comments: